NEi Nastran provides a wide range of industry-proven solutions
for biomedical engineering that enable our customers to evaluate
and optimize many performance and reliability aspects of their designs
and manufacturing processes. Benefits include: shorter development
cycles, FDA regulatory compliance with GSR requirements, faster
FDA and CE submission / approval / time to market, enhanced patent protection,
improved quality management, increased performance and mechanical
reliability, increased product life and durability, improved patient
effectiveness, and managed and reduced risk.
"Finite Element Analysis has become an important tool to examine designs for their performance under load before a physical prototype exists. The two main advantages we gain through the use of FEA are: shorter time to market and optimized designs to avoid vibrations or to reduce weight and costs. After an extensive evaluation we decided to use NEi Nastran as our solver due to its high accuracy, robustness and productivity."
NEi Nastran biomedical engineering customers routinely address issues like:
- Design and deployment of cardiovascular related systems such as vascular
stents, catheters, drug delivery systems, pacemakers, defibrillators,
heart valve replacements
- Design and deployment of orthopedic related devices such as knee replacement,
hip implants, spinal implants, cartilage and joint replacement,
human modeling and virtual biomechanics, biocompatible materials
- Design of intra-ocular lens implants and general devices
- Design of dental implants and general devices
- Design of mechanical connectors commonly used in all types of medical devices
- Wear and impact simulation to improve durability and reliability of implants
- Assessment and prediction of injuries
- Soft tissue and joint modeling
- Simulating the physiological response of body systems
NEi Nastran product suite key benefits for biomedical engineering:
- Proven track record demonstrating that NEi Nastran is one of the most trusted products for simulation of complex medical
interactive tools necessary for model creation, analysis
monitoring, and results evaluation including a state-of-the-art
industry-proven element technologies, including hybrid
quad and hex elements, surface and spot weld elements, and dissimilar
mesh interpolation elements.
performance processing including advanced parallel PCG
iterative, sparse direct, and block Lanczos solvers which allow
solutions to large-scale models over 10 million degrees of freedom
on inexpensive 32-bit Windows workstations as well as high end 64-bit
contact capability using a 3D surface contact method which
easily handles dissimilar meshes between components including frictional
through advanced material models including temperature
dependent materials, non-linear elasticity and plasticity effects.
and Modal Reduction allows the creation and reuse of substructures
to improve the efficiency of large analyses and provides a convenient
method to transfer model data to subcontractors.
- Submodeling allows in-depth evaluation of particular regions.
- Multiple subcase capability provides a highly efficient technique
to evaluate the response of structures to many different load cases
and boundary conditions.
- Extensive composite material support including, 2D orthotropic, 3D
orthotropic, general anisotropic, laminate lay-up definitions, and
a wide range of failure criteria.
- Advanced solution sequences such as linear and nonlinear static,
transient dynamic, steady state dynamic, frequency extraction, heat
transfer, and other analysis types, provide a choice of appropriate
analysis types for different types of simulations.
- Integration with specialized fatigue applications, such as winLIFE which is available as an add-on to the NEi Nastran product suite and also fe-safe, nCode, Falancs and FE-Fatigue.
Case Studies in Medical Industry
Spinal Implant System by Trautwein Engineering
Human Spinal Implant
Implant Fatigue Stress Analysis
Adjustable Lens Mechanism
Product Demonstration Options and Information